Facts for Investors
Market Development in Germany
- The first Private Equity companies were founded in the second half of the sixties, mainly by German banks.
- In the seventies the first publicly funded equity companies (SME equity companies) were set up.
- During the second half of the eighties the Anglo-American venture capital model (“best practice”) was adopted by new venture capital companies.
- In the nineties companies increasingly started to specialise (company stage, industry), internationalise and implement Anglo-American experience.
- Industry boom from 1997 promoted new companies being formed in all industry segments, including spin offs by established players.
- The industry has been stabilising and consolidating since 2001. Companies, mainly in the venture capital market, are exiting the market due to consolidation.
- After the end of consolidation in 2004 the market stabilised and again showed signs of growth.